Thank You for a Stellar 2019!December 12, 2019
Thanks to you and other national, state and local human service organizations across the country, the National Reframing Initiative had a banner year. We’re excited to report the below progress in advancing the Building Well-Being Narrative in 2019.
The National Reframing Initiative was pleased to welcome new partners, provide tailored training and technical assistance, and celebrate successes:
- We continued our multi-year partnerships with the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities and Youth Advocate Programs by providing ongoing training and technical support as they integrate reframing into new issues, materials and campaigns.
- The Initiative also formed a new joint-partnership with the National Organization of State Associations for Children and Saint Francis Ministries to apply reframing to child welfare issues, particularly around implementation of the Family First Prevention Services Act reforms.
- Through our new partnerships with Seattle Human Services Coalition (SHSC)/King County Alliance for Human Service, reframing has already gained rapid uptake and was successfully used in a SHSC policy advocacy campaign that resulted in a city ordinance to automatically adjust human service contracts annually for inflation.
- One Voice Central Texas and the Initiative worked together to use reframing to influence the growing citywide conversation on ending homelessness in Austin, Texas.
- Illinois Partners for Human Service applied reframing to a cross-platform digital marketing campaign, Our Shared Human Story, with remarkable results.
- Human Services Council produced a Media Reference Guide and continues to utilize reframing in messages developed on behalf of Strong Nonprofits for a Better New York, a statewide coalition of over 350 organizations that advocates for changes to state human service contracting processes and investments.
- You can find all of the excellent examples of framing from partners across the country that we featured in the newsletter this year.
Network Mobilization and Support
The Initiative was delighted to get out into the field to reach the broader human service community and expand the reframing network:
- The Reframing Team led 28 presentations and in-depth trainings in communities across the country, attracting 1,500 participants. We conducted workshops and keynote addresses at conferences and meetings for a number of national networks, including Community Action Partnership, Goodwill Industries International and Volunteers of America. We also partnered with state and local organizations to provide trainings targeted to the needs of specific communities, including in California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.
- We developed an online Implementation Guide designed to simplify the process for incorporating reframing into organizational communications. The guide’s four modules offer user-friendly recommendations and strategies for each reframing step.
- The Reframing Network Newsletter community continues to grow, with 23 newsletters providing over 2,400 human service professionals with bi-weekly reframing tips, resources, and real-world examples.
With you, we made significant advancements in 2019 improving the public’s understanding and support of human services. You can also revisit our 2018 results. Please email your 2019 reframing successes to Bridget Gavaghan, National Reframing Initiative Director.