Reframing Resource Library
The Resources You Need for Reframing
The National Reframing Initiative builds broader and more robust civic support for human services to improve well-being for all people across their lifespan. Below you will find tools and publications, videos and presentations, news items, and more to help with integrating the National Reframing Initiative evidence-based strategy into your communications.
Tools and Publications
National Reframing Initiative Resources:
- National Reframing Human Services Initiative One-Pager, 2018 – Learn about the background of the project and the tools available.
- Reframing Network Newsletter – This bi-weekly publication offers practical tips for reframing, additional resources and explanations, and examples from the field.
FrameWorks Institute Resources
The National Assembly commissioned FrameWorks to create a number of products to help disseminate their findings and recommendations throughout the human service sector.
- The Building a New Narrative on Human Services Toolkit, November 2015 – This free, comprehensive resource includes talking points, tips for professionals looking to increase their comfort level with communicating using the new frame, Frequently Asked Questions, and background information on the research informing the recommendations.
- Talking Human Services: A FrameWorks MessageMemo, November 2015 – This MessageMemo charts a course through the dominant patterns of reasoning employed by the public about human services, identifies the major challenges for those communicating about related topics, and recommends how to redirect messages to improve public understanding and increase support for this field.
- Handed to Them on a Plate: Mapping the Gaps Between Expert and Public Understandings of Human Services, July 2013 – This report examines how the perspectives of experts and the public differ on the function of human services and the meaning of well-being.
In addition to the tools commissioned by the National Assembly, FrameWorks has a wealth of resources to help human service professionals more effectively engage audiences on a range of topics relevant to the sector. We encourage you to weave these evidence-based, tailored recommendations into your communications.
- Budgets & Taxes
- Children & Youth, including the Framing Child & Youth Development MessageBrief (March 2015), which FrameWorks created for the National Assembly and the National Collaboration for Youth
- Juvenile Justice
The National Reframing Initiative conducts regular in-person and on-line presentations about reframing for human service staff, partners, funders, and the general public. Explore the following videos and webinars to learn about framing in general, reframing promising practices, and strategies to integrate the new Building Well-Being Narrative into human service communications.
- Storytelling for Social Change: A Wide Angle Lens Approach to Reframing FrameWorks Institute webinar on behalf of the National Assembly, March 21, 2017 (Password to access: nhsa).
- Building Well-Being: Encourage Participation, Deepen Support, and Raise Funds for Your Nonprofit, NHSA & Social Solutions webinar, October 13, 2016
- Building Well-Being: Unveiling A New Narrative for Human Services, NHSA & FrameWorks Institute webinar announcing the new frame, November 10, 2015
- Understanding What You’re Up Against: Mapping the Gaps on Human Services, NHSA & FrameWorks Institute webinar on FrameWorks Institute’s research into how experts and the general public view human services differently, April 2014
- Reframing Human Services Introduction, NHSA & FrameWorks Institute video on the motivation behind reframing human services, March 2014
- Mapping the Gaps,FrameWorks Institute video on their research into how experts and the general public view human services differently, September 2013 (Password to access: fw)
- The Imperative for Change: Reframing/Reinventing Human Services, NHSA & FrameWorks Institute webinar on Reframing 101, September 17, 2013
- Changing the Public Conversation on Social Problems: A Beginners Guide to Strategic Frame Analysis®, FrameWorks Institute E-Workshop on their Strategic Frame Analysis methods
The National Reframing Initiative is committed to sparking the widespread understanding and use of reframed language and concepts. The Initiative and language on reframing for human services have been featured in numerous newspapers, magazines, journals, and blogs of diverse scope. We look forward to furthering the conversation on reframing through the media to reach the greater public. For media inquiries, please contact Michelle Sims.
- Is It Time to Stop Saying ‘the Safety Net’?, J.B. Wogan, Governing, March 27, 2018
- Illinois Human Service Providers Have a New Communication Strategy, Brad Palmer, WSIU & NPR, March 1, 2018
- Reframing How We Talk About Service, Caring Magazine, September 2017
- Human Services Try to ‘Reframe’ Their Impact, Paul Sweich, Pantagraph, February 28, 2017
- How to Think Differently About Communication: Your Nonprofit’s Role in Reframing the Post-Election Discourse, Nat Kendall-Taylor and Susan Nall Bales, NonProfit Quarterly, February 16, 2017
- Why Framing Matters: A Review of the Basics, Tracy Wareing Evans, Policy & Practice Magazine, October 2016
- Nonprofit Uses Science to Reveal Words With Power to Change Minds, Heather Joslyn, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, September 6, 2016
- Reframing Public Support for Human Services: How a New initiative is Reengaging the Public and Building Understanding for Human Service Programs, Ilsa Flanagan, APHSA Policy & Practice Magazine, February 2016
- Framing: The Art and Science, Lynn Sygiel,Charitable Advisors, February 8, 2016
- Can You Change Negative Perceptions About Government Aid?, J.B. Wogan, Governing Magazine, July 2015
- Nonprofits’ Fractured Partnership with Government,Jo Debolt, LaPania Consulting Blog Post, June 3, 2014
- Human Services Groups Collaborate to Survive, Claudia Shaefer, Nonprofit Times, March 14, 2014
- Reframing Human Services: Why and How, Irv Katz and Karen Heller Key, APHSA Policy & Practice Magazine, February 2014
- Group Hopes to Re-frame Human Services Using Neuroscience, Marty Daks, Nonprofit Times, November 1, 2013
This initiative is generously funded by The Kresge Foundation and Annie E. Casey Foundation.
FEATURED ARTICLESSupport for Nonpartisanship – Letter to Congress
Dear Members and Friends, Today, the Community Letter in Support of Nonpartisanship is being delivered to members of Congress. The National Human Services Assembly is proud to stand with our fellow nonprofits to fight for the Johnson Amendment to remain intact, which is crucial to helping the human service sector build and maintain well-being in our […]
FEATURED ARTICLESMedicaid Work Requirements Will Undermine Well-Being
Access to healthcare is a core human service that enables everyone in our communities to build and maintain emotional, physical, and financial well-being. This includes timely and reliable access to high-quality preventive care, as well as services that address differing health and wellness needs throughout life. When people are healthy, they are better equipped to […]
FEATURED ARTICLESSAMHSA Freezes Clearinghouse for Evidence-Based Programs
The National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP), in its current form since 2006, is a clearinghouse of evidence-based substance abuse and mental health treatment and prevention programs administered by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). In late December, SAMHSA abruptly terminated the contract with the organization responsible for reviewing submissions […]